Newspaper

News

  • Greek Week Champions!

    Congratulations to our entire chapter! It was a Mo. Zeta Domination of Greek Week. Our awards included: The Spirit Award, Excellence in Chapter Manag...Read More

Greystone

 

Our second house is the Greystone Estate located at 1403 North Sprigg, beside the Show-Me Center.  Greystone is an awesome mansion built in 1921.  


THE GAME ROOM

 

This is our game room on the main floor.  It consists of a pool table, an electronic dart machine, billard chairs, and Big Buck Hunter.  The walls are hung with pictures documenting our chapters history, past events, and wood carvings.

 


THE LIVING ROOM

This is our living room.  This room houses our 64" flat screen TV, surround sound stereo system that is wired throughout the entire first floor.  There are two leather couches to relax on, as well as our firplace, which we fire up a few times every winter.  The walls are covered with pictures of our chapter history, past events, wood carvings, and stained glass windows.

 

New Renovation Pictures:






The History of the Greystone Estate

 

The mansion was built in 1921 by a wealthy local construction mogul, J.W. Gerhardt.  He is responsible for the building of the Southeast Hospital, Southeast Missourian Newspaper building and a number of other prominent buildings in town.  The mansion was originally built as his county estate and, as was the tradition in the day, he named his house Greystone the Aristocrat of Playgrounds. The name came from the fact that Gerhardt wanted it to be a place to entertain his family and other prominent members of the community.  It was once the "showplace of Cape Girardeau" when it featured gardens and Chinese elms as landscaping on one side of it.

The Estate, which resided on several acres, included a swimming pool, tennis court, golf course, and provided horseback riding for his guest's enjoyment. Gerhardt would later open the house to the public as a private country club in the 1930s.  Today the house is simply referred to as Greystone or the Greystone Estate.